Friday, June 7, 2013

Ways Reading Is Discouraged

I came across this great piece (on Pinterest of course!) today and thought I'd share it!

It lists ways that parents and teachers discourage kids from reading.

Many years back, I did observations at a local Montessori preschool that was well- loved by everyone I spoke with.  I was short of impressed.  They had MANY issues, but one in particular aligns with this article.  The students who needed what they referred to as a "Time Away", spent this time in the reading corner.  They weren't even allowed to read.  When educators and parents are trying to encourage children to read books and magazines, why would we allow them to associate that space and aspect of learning with negativity? Check out this great site for more ways that parents discourage kids from reading so that we can do the opposite!

Happy Reading!

Ways Parents Discourage Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment