Saturday, May 18, 2013

Benefits of Children Traveling

Children gain so much from traveling with their parents!  

Since my kids were born, I have taken them to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Key West, Orlando, Seattle, Idaho, British Colombia, Monterey, Boston, San Francisco, Bahamas, Arizona, Sacramento, Cabo San Lucas, Maine, Tennesse, Puerto Vallarta, Las Vegas, and so many more places, I can't even remember! 

I enjoy traveling and see the benefits of taking my children with me.  

**Don't get me wrong, we have left the kids with grandparents for a weekend here and there for Catalina and Las Vegas trips.  We need that adult time as well!

I recently came across an article in USA Today that mentioned some of the many benefits that children have from traveling with their parents. Some of the key points in the article are: quality time together, security in relationships, really getting to know each other, and learning with one another.  According to Michelle Kulas, the author of the article, "Tasting foreign foods, hearing different languages and visiting homes in other countries can be an eye-opening experience."  This is true for kids and adults alike.  

Here are some highlights from our adventures as a family:

- What we call Bathrooms, Canadians call Washrooms (My girls loved this!)
- Learning about dolphins and swimming with them
- Finding a baby octopus while snorkeling
- Exchanging currency in different countries
- Enjoying the company of people different than us (skin color, accents, languages, clothing, appearance)
- Tasting unique foods
- Driving on the other side of the road (My girls were confused by this one!)
- Many aquariums, zoos, and museums

And the list goes on...

There are so many benefits to traveling with children that strengthen the family bond.  While a trip to Walt Disney World or Alaska, or Australia may not be feasible in a family budget, there are so many other ways that you can make memories and build relationships in your family.  See my blog about free and inexpensive things to do around San Diego for a list of great family fun ideas!

Remember to have fun with your children and build them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment